Here is my latest painting:
Here are the notes I've taken while painting it:
For session one, I started on the figures using two pigments alizarin crimson for the costumes, and terra rosa for the rest. The goal was to use warm pigments for the shadows, that would get cooler as the canvas showed through, so the pigments had to be transparent -- and I say "canvas" here, but really it's hardboard, something I've never painted on before.
For session two, I finished up the under-painting, adding both ultramarine blue and transparent oxide brown to the figures. For the background, I used opaques, mixing sap green, permanent green light, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow, titanium white, and transparent oxide brown.
For session three, I painted the other costumes lined up behind the main figure. I also added some blues and reds to the iridescent costumes. Most importantly, though, for session three, I did the metal bra and belt on the main figure. There I used white mixed with green, white mixed with blue, and white mixed with brown, all painted on thickly with a palette knife. I did not take a picture after this session.
For session four, I did a little touch up here and there. I spent a lot of time on the face of the main figure, using mostly titanium white to cut out the shape. I also revisited the background, adding some cadmium yellow.
It might be done. I'm going to sit on it a bit.
Here are links to images showing the progress over time:
Sessions 3 and 4